UK Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

December 20, 2013

My Red Lip Wardrobe

review swatches red lip colours
review swatches red lip colours
review swatches red lip colours


For me, putting on a red lipstick is like putting on a new dress or a pair of high heels. It is an instant, fool-proof way to make myself feel dressed up. However, it dawned on me recently that although I have a passion for trying out new lipsticks I don't actually have many options when it comes to a red lip. I'm not one to really experiment with red lips, I definitely know what I like (blue based shades that aren't too much on the bright side) and my collection of red lip colours really testifies to that! I am starting to wear red lips a lot more frequently - nothing like bringing a little bit of glam into my student life - so I felt as though a post dedicated to the subject would be quite fitting. Today's post is just going to involve me showing you the six red lip colours that I have in my collection and walking you through which are my favourites and why. 


review swatches red lip colours
review swatches red lip colours
LEFT TO RIGHT: Rimmel Kate Moss Lipstick in 107, Rimmel Kate Moss Lipstick in 101, MaxFactor Colour Elixir Lipstick in Ruby Tuesday, Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Revlon Red, Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Romantic and Lanolips Lip Ointment with Colour in Apple.


Rimmel Kate Moss Lipstick in 107
This is probably my most worn dark red lipstick. It is a red that is definitely on the berry end of the spectrum and I find it incredibly flattering year round. I do tend to reach for this lipstick more in the autumn and winter months and lately I've been really loving it. This lipstick has a satin formula - so it is on the matte end of the spectrum but it isn't too drying on the lips. I find that it lasts really well (a must have if I'm going to wear a bold lip) and it is a shade that I often get compliments on.

Rimmel Kate Moss Lipstick in 101
After the success of the shade '107' I couldn't help myself but go back this year and pick up another colour to try. Rimmel's Kate Moss Lipstick in 101 is a gorgeous true-red and I must admit that I find it quite bold to wear. When I brave this one out of the house it does make me feel quite wonderful. It has the same formula as '107' so it lasts really well even when I sip on drinks or nibble on food and I feel comfortable that it won't smudge or bleed. I love Rimmel's Kate Moss lipsticks, especially these 'matte' ones in the red packaging.

MaxFactor Colour Elixir Lipstick in Ruby Tuesday
The formula of MaxFactor's Colour Elixir Lipsticks is absolutely gorgeous and I definitely think that they're highly underrated. Ruby Tuesday is a gorgeous blue based red that really brightens up my face when I wear it. The formula is very creamy, opaque in one swipe and lasts through meals. I'm incredibly impressed with it whenever I wear it and it is normally the lipstick I reach for when I want a bright red lip instead of a darker berry-red.


review swatches red lip colours
review swatches red lip colours
LEFT TO RIGHT: Rimmel Kate Moss Lipstick in 107, Rimmel Kate Moss Lipstick in 101, MaxFactor Colour Elixir Lipstick in Ruby Tuesday, Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Revlon Red, Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Romantic and Lanolips Lip Ointment with Colour in Apple


 Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Revlon Red
The colour of Revlon Red is intense and its brightness often puts me off wearing it. I find Revlon's Super Lustrous Lipsticks very light and moisturising but that does mean that the lasting power isn't as good as the lipsticks that I've previously mentioned. Additionally, I always use a lip liner with Revlon's Super Lustrous Lipsticks because I find that they have more of a propensity to bleed and smudge than my other red lip colours. That being said, the effect of this lipstick really is quite something and if you're after a vivid colour to wear to a party or event then I'd definitely recommend this one.

Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Romantic 
This is probably the easiest 'daytime red' lip colour that I've come across. The shade is slightly more orange toned than I would like but sheerness of it means that it's easy to layer up to an intensity that I'm happy with and then the lasting power (because it is a stain) makes it effortless to wear. I'd highly recommend Revlon's Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains and I've been raving about them all year long!

Lanolips Lip Ointment with Colour in Apple*
Lanolips' Lip Ointment with Colour in Apple is the best option for anyone with dry or sore lips. It is a thick, very effective lip treatment that just happens to have a gorgeous touch of colour to it. I tend to wear this when my lips are having an off day (central heating and wind are doing them no favours) but when I still feel I need a little colour added to my face. The colour only lasts about an hour before you'd need to reapply but it fades evenly and it isn't sticky like a lipgloss. In my books it scores very highly! I'm quite the Lanolips convert.




So there you have it, those six red lip colours make up my red lip wardrobe. I'm definitely on the hunt for new shades to try in the new year as compared to say pinks and neutrals I really haven't tried many red lipsticks! Which lip colour did you like the most? And do you have a favourite red lipstick?



Share:

5 comments

  1. I love Revlon red, it might be my favourite actually. Max factor Exilir lipsticks are so much better than I expected, I have a coral one and I adore it. Might have to pick up ruby tuesday

    Jenn | Photo-Jenn-ic

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to try a Kate Moss for Rimmel lipstick for ages, think you've persuaded me to try 101! Although I'm eyeing up the Max Factor one too...xx
    www.LaurasHaven.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried the Just Bitten line. I should definitely pick up one asap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post - love the details and good photos. really helpful. hope you have a great 2014

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

© One Little Vice | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig