UK Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

June 13, 2013

The Comparison: Benefit Moon Beam and High Beam Dupes


comparing cheek highlighter high end product vs drugstore product close match


Like a lot of people, I'm a big fan of Benefit's make-up. However, more often than not I'm put off by the price of it. It isn't that I don't think it's worth it, I just don't always have £15-£25 to dish out on one item, no matter how much I like it. I've had Benefit's Highbeam and Benefit's Moonbeam for years now, probably far longer than you're supposed to hang onto a make-up item. They still seem good to use and have't gone funky but I am nearing the end of their use as I'm almost out of both of them (which seemed impossible to me for so long as there is so much product in a bottle given how little you need to use). So, with the thought of repurchasing them in mind I set out looking for dupes and I stumbled across a very similar looking pair of products from MeMeMe. This is my first foray into MeMeMe products, I've never tried anything of theirs before so I can't make any broad statements about the brand. I do, however, think that at £5.50 they're a lot more affordable than Benefit. I wanted to see just how similar the product (it's colour, consistency and longevity) was to Benefit's offerings so I've done swatches below and I will be comparing MeMeMe's Sunbeam with Benefit's Moonbeam and MeMeMe's Moonbeam with Benefit's Highbeam.


highlighter colour comparison dupe drugstore vs benefit
highlighter colour comparison dupe drugstore vs benefit


Benefit Moonbeam vs. MeMeMe Sunbeam

Colour
Despite looking almost identical in the bottle, Benefit's Moonbeam is a lot more apricot in colour than MeMeMe's Sunbeam which is a yellow-toned gold colour- this is most apparent when you blend each product out. The iridescence of Benefit's Moonbeam is a lot more subtle than MeMeMe's Sunbeam, namely because Benefit's Moonbeam is sheerer due to it's more liquid formula.

Consistency 
Benefit's Moonbeam is thinner, more watery and easier to blend than MeMeMe Sunbeam. However, because MeMeMe's Sunbeam is more like a gel than a liquid it gives you longer before it dries making it easier to use overall (especially if you aren't used to using this sort of product).

Longevity
It was honestly comparable, almost the same. Although I think Benefit's Moonbeam wore a bit better than MeMeMe's Sunbeam.

Overall
 I prefer the look of Benefit's Moonbeam because it looks more subtle (better for daytime) and the colour is incredibly flattering on my pale skin. However, MeMeMe's Sunbeam is still very wearable and pretty although I think it is more obvious that I'm 'made up' when I wear it and I think it better compliments a bronzed face than a more natural, daytime, make-up look. These two products are not exact dupes specifically because of the colour difference.


highlighter dupes benefit vs mememe swatch and review
highlighter dupe high end vs high street benefit mememe cheek


Benefit Highbeam vs. MeMeMe Moonbeam


Colour
Benefit's Highbeam and MeMeMe's Moonbeam are very alike in terms of their colour, however, MeMeMe's Moonbeam is more of a baby pink shade whilst Benefit's Highbeam has an edge of apricot to it that keeps it from being so pink. Benefit's Highbeam is a lot more iridescent than MeMeMe's Moonbeam and is therefore less subtle when worn which, depending on what you're looking for, could be a good or bad thing. (You can always use less of Benefit's Highbeam than MeMeMe's Moonbeam for a similar effect, or you can blend it out more than I have done).

Consistency
Benefit's Highbeam has a thicker consistency than MeMeMe's Moonbeam which is very thin and liquid-y. The thickness of Benefit's Highbeam makes it easier to blend and makes it hard to apply it patchily, which is a critique that I have of MeMeMe's Moonbeam.

Longevity
Benefit's Highbeam wore better throughout the day, however, MeMeMe's Moonbeam was still passable but clearly did not wear as well.

Overall
In this case of these two products, although they definitely dupes as their colour match is pretty close I definitely prefer Benefit's Highbeam. However, the colour and effect of MeMeMe's Moonbeam is good enough, it is just a question of me preferring the texture of Benefit's Highbeam which I found easier to apply.



 I know that when I had been internet shopping I would have found a post like this handy to read so I hope you found my comparisons helpful! Let me know what you think of either product if you've tried it or if you know of any other dupes.


Share:

7 comments

  1. I think the MeMeMe moonbeam actually looks really pretty, I'm surprised by the massively obvious dupe-names though! Cheeky sods! x

    Amy / srslylou.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your looking for an even cheaper dude for highbeam, then technic sell a highlighter for £2 which might be worth a look at! You can get it from bodycare on the high-street though I'm its available in other places too.

    Rebecca xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, am put off by Benefit's price point. But I will splurge on something I love though. The colors look great, but may not be for someone like me. However, you wrote a great review.
    Beauty Fashion Skin Care Blog - Girlie Blog Seattle | Cheap Makeup Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review!! I love Benefit's products, but they are terribly expensive sometimes..I did pour out 18€ for a lipgloss, but only after trying many others and still being in love with that one..and I still love it!

    xoRosie
    The Austrian Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great review and comparison, things like this are so useful. It sounds like you will probably be repurchasing the benefit products, but if they really did last you a few years that's not so bad (compared to other expensive products from them that don't last as long).

    writingwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post, this is what I'm all about. If you don't try the lower end then you will never know how good/bad they are!

    www.slightlyskintblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a fab post!! Love finding hidden gems in cheaper brands :)

    Love Zoe x
    www.facevaluebeautyblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

© One Little Vice | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig