UK Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

March 12, 2013

A Massive Beauty Haul and an Important Life Lesson


Last week I finally received the money that I had been awarded in a court case that I won recently. It sounds more exciting or worrying that it was. It was basically to do with being ripped off by my old landlord who was trying to take advantage of me and my flatmates by overcharging us and failing to deliver a habitable home. Fast forward 18 months and we finally managed to get back the rent we paid (for a house we couldn't live in). This meant that for the first time in a long while I've had money that I can spend with an entirely guilt free conscience as I'd written off thinking that I'd never get it back. (We also won our legal fees, interest and our old deposits back, so it was an incredible success for us.)

This isn't necessarily the right place to talk about this, but I think that it is really important to fight for what you think is right. If someone tries to take advantage of you then you don't have to idly sit by and put up with it. As a student I have noticed that people really do try and take advantage of you because they assume that you're young, disorganised and lack the confidence to go after what you think you deserve. This is completely wrong and unfair. If you stand up for yourself, seek advice and get organised you can get the results you deserve. After finally being awarded our money we asked the lawyer we were working with to write a press statement (that was worded in such a way that we wouldn't get us in any trouble) so that we could distribute it to our local and student newspapers. No-one should have to suffer the stress (or physical danger from the house's condition) that we have gone through from the beginning of this saga until now. When something is clearly unacceptable you should say so, you should never have to put up with unacceptable behaviour.

Anyway! Now that little speech is over we can move on. It's been a very weird fortnight for me and I've been a little distant from my blog. Despite the relief of winning the court case I actually got some terrible news about a death in the family last week. The way I dealt with it, it would appear, was to shop, and I did in fact go on a bit of a shopping rampage It was all loosely within the budget I set for myself so it wasn't an insane move on my part, but it has added up to a lot of stuff. All the following (as well as a considerable wardrobe upgrade and a holiday I'm going to book for after I graduate) are my reward for standing up for myself and a celebration of the fact that we won, that all the organisation and work was worth it in the end. 




I know, I went a little crazy. But despite how it looks it was all quite a good deal! I went to T.K. Maxx, Boots, cashed in my Birchbox points towards the Korres lip products and then did a massive Fragrance Direct shop. I'm really excited about trying the new foundations I bought and I've already cracked out the Dainty Doll Lipsticks and they are gorgeous- I should have bought all of the shades! Reviews will follow, but not all at once (as you can imagine). 



If there is anything you want to see reviewed sooner rather than later then let me know in a comment and I'll put that at the top of my list :) Is there anything I bought that you really like the look of?




Share:

14 comments

  1. I think you deserve the haul after all that has happened. I'm sorry to hear about the death in your family. I'm going through issues with the flat I'm renting currently so I feel your pain, well done on winning your case, xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll love to find out how the latest Revlon foundation is like, I'm kinda a foundation hoarder lol.

      Delete
  2. Great haul and so deserved! Congrats on winning. I totally believe in standing up for yourself and what you believe in, no one has the right to take advantage of you.

    Very sorry for your loss too, I hope you and your family are ok.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on winning the court case and I am sorry to hear about your loss. You did some great shopping which is well deserved. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great haul and much needed after your traumatic time... I so need to go to TK Maxx!! xx

    http://beautyqueenuk.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on winning your case, its so out of order that people think they can take advantage of students! Sorry to hear about your loss, I too deal with death by shopping, dont know why just a coping method I suppose xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on winning your case: D I would like to know about the new Revlon foundation because mine is running out! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab haul! Well done on winning, and sorry for your loss!


    Lizzums x
    http://benebelle.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats for winning the case!!

    I loveee TKMaxx!
    http://golddustk.blogspot.co.uk/
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic haul, and i'm so happy you won your case and got justice. Just goes to show people what you can accomplish if you stand up for yourself! Sorry to hear about the death in your family, and hope you're coping as well as possible with that.

    I'd lovelovelove to hear more about the NYC lip stains: i've been lusting after them for ages!

    And I think I can speak for everyone when I say this haul was greatly deserved, and i'd personally be happy to see you spend your giveaway goodies on yourself. We can wait, you deserve a nice treat. :)

    Much love and happy hauling,

    Amy

    http://zombieturtlebeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done to you and your housemates hun!! Fantastic!! What an amazing haul.

    Em

    x

    Em’s Mixed Bag

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats to winning your court case, sounds like the money is well deserved. And very well spent too ;)

    I bought a couple of Dainty Doll items from Fragrance Direct too, can't wait for them to arrive!

    Amy x cocktailsinteacups.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

© One Little Vice | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig